From Egon Schiele to Roy Lichtenstein; Solo Presentations of Well-known Artists at Frieze Seoul 202205 Sep 2022
Original text in Farsi by Sara Taheran
Translated to English by Soheila Habibi
The first Frieze Seoul Art Fair is being held from September 2 to 5 at the COEX, Seoul. In addition to the main part of the event, this art fair introduces a part called "Frieze Masters" which is a presentation of artworks from different eras of history, from ancient times to the 20th century. In its first edition, Frieze Seoul has featured unique solo exhibitions from prominent and leading galleries in the world, the most prominent of which are:
Main Event Section
• Perrotin Gallery has participated in this section by showing a work by Tavares Strachan, a conceptual artist. Titled "The Encyclopedia of Invisibility," this statue-like work focuses on historical events, people, and places that are often hidden or overlooked.
• Petzel Gallery has organized an exhibition of the works by Derek Fordjour, an American-Ghanian artist. In this individual show he, as a member of the black immigrant community, has reflected the situation of this segment of society.
• Maho Kubota Gallery has exhibited the works of Atsushi Kaga, a Japanese artist. This solo show, which revolves around the artist's "Self-portrait" collection, depicts a rabbit with human characteristics.
• Galerie Jocelyn Wolff and Meyer Riegger exhibited works by Miriam Cahn, a Swiss artist. In an extreme feminist approach, Cahn challenges any oppression and violence in a subtle and shocking way.
• The Drawing Room Gallery presents the works of José Santos III, a Filipino artist. In this show, he uses assemblage to transform earthly objects into something sublime.
• David Kordansky Gallery participates in this section exhibiting Calvin Marcus' works, an American artist. Weeds and tiny leaves can be seen in most of Marcus' works.
• Xavier Hufkens Gallery participates in this section displaying new works by Sterling Ruby, an American artist, entitled "TURBINE". In these works, based on his long-standing interest, Ruby examines the tensions between fluidity and stillness, as well as Expressionism and Minimalism.
Frieze Masters Section
There are many galleries in the Frieze Masters section at Frieze Seoul 2022 and the names of well-known artists such as Pablo Picasso, Andy Warhol, Francis Bacon, John Michel Basquiat, Alberto Giacometti, Keith Haring, Ellsworth Kelly, Willem De Kooning, Henri Matisse, Piet Mondrian, Robert Rauschenberg and etc. can be seen among them. A group show of works by David Hockney, Anthony Caro, Leon Kossoff, Alan Green, Naum Gabo, and Kazimir Malevich was held at Annely Juda Fine Art, and Acquavella Galleries also presented works by Andy Warhol. But among solo shows:
• Castelli Gallery has exhibited selected works of Roy Lichtenstein, an American Pop artist, created in the 1980s.
• Galleria Continua participates in this section displaying the works of Michelangelo Pistoletto, an Italian painter and theoretician and one of the famous pioneers of the Arte Povera movement. This presentation exhibits the artistic path of the artist.
• Richard Nagy Gallery has exhibited about 40 works by Egon Schiele, the Austrian Expressionist artist, which shows the full spectrum of his genius.
Cover and slider image: